Reducing Waste at Sealy
Updated: Reduce solid waste from product manufacturing by 4% and reduce GHG emissions from product delivery by 8%. To do this, the company has developed baselines for facility solid waste management and GHG emissions from product delivery and is continuing to:
- Implement targeted driver policies
- Improve truck technologies and routing
- Improve manufacturing processes
- Recycle raw materials
New: Improve efficiency of and reduce GHG emissions from its manufacturing plants. To do this, the company is:
- Expanding its GHG baseline to include utility consumption in mattress assembly plants
- Measuring facility GHG emissions on an absolute and productivity basis (GHG emissions/1000 units)
- Setting annual goals to reduce facility GHG emissions
Progress and future plans
Sealy is on track to meet or exceed its 2009 goals to reduce GHG emissions from product distribution as a result of numerous initiatives, including improved fleet routing software, installation of speed governors on trucks, reduced idling time and incentive programs for drivers to improve fuel economy.
The company has continued to achieve significant reductions in solid waste by improving manufacturing processes, optimizing material use, and recycling scrap. In 2009, Sealy began efforts to measure and reduce GHG emissions from its manufacturing plants.