EDF works with some of the largest users of the freight system. We work with these shippers to develop a business case for sustainability. Together, we have identified opportunities for companies to cut transportation cost and emissions. We have distilled our learnings into the Five Principles for Greener Freight:
- Get the most out of every move. Combine and adapt packaging to maximize cube utilization. A fuller move is a greener move.
- Choose the most carbon-efficient transport mode. Favor ocean over air, rail over truck.
- Collaborate. Root out opportunities for savings through discussions with internal departments and with suppliers, customers, vendors–even competitors.
- Redesign your logistics network. Continually optimize your network to maximize cost savings and minimize greenhouse gas emissions.
- Demand cleaner equipment and practices. Urge your logistics service providers to use cleaner trucks and cargo handling equipment, and employ other air pollution-reducing practices at busy transport hubs.