EDF has developed a suite of resources to guide you on every stage of your green freight journey. Through collaborations and conversations with facility and logistics managers across industries, we have seen first-hand what approaches were most successful.
Below, you’ll see how we distilled those learnings into our 5 Principles for Greener Freight. These principles can be implemented at any stage of your journey, as they are proven to be cost-effective, impactful, and likely to achieve long-lasting results. Real-life examples of the principles can be found in the case studies of our collaboration with Ocean Spray, adidas Group, Caterpillar, and Boise.
- Get the most out of every move. Combine and adapt packaging to maximize cube utilization. A fuller move is a greener move.
- Choose the most carbon-efficient transport mode. Favor ocean over air and rail over truck.
- Collaborate. Root out opportunities for savings through discussions with internal departments and with suppliers, customers, vendors-even competitors.
- Redesign your logistics network. Continually optimize your network to maximize cost savings and minimize greenhouse gas emissions.
- Demand cleaner equipment and practices. Urge your logistics service providers to use cleaner trucks and cargo handling equipment, and employ other air pollution-reducing practices at busy transport hubs.
For additional detail about how to implement each principle, download the full Green Freight Handbook.
Green Freight Case Studies
EDF’s series of Green Freight case studies feature leading companies in a variety of industries that found opportunities to reduce carbon emissions and cut transportation costs. The analysis was conducted by researchers at the Center for Transportation and Logistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Warehouse Best Practices
Energy use represents a significant percentage of the total cost of operating a modern distribution center-EDF has identified easily implemented money-saving strategies to reduce costs and emissions.
Green Freight Facts and Figures
How much money could be saved if trucks weren’t underutilized? How many more emissions does a plane produce over a train? Learn the numbers behind supply chain logistics and their impact on the environment.