Since 2007, Environmental Defense Fund has worked with the private equity industry to improve environmental management and increase asset value.
- May: EDF advises Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR), TPG Capital & Goldman Sachs on the $45B TXU buyout – the largest private equity deal of all time. Plans to construct eight coal plants were withdrawn and the company’s investment in energy efficiency was doubled.
- May: EDF & KKR announce the Green Portfolio Partnership to improve business and environmental performance across KKR’s portfolio.
- February: KKR & EDF announce results from three pilot companies: U.S. Foodservice, PRIMEDIA and Sealy; i.e. $16.4M saved and 26k metric tons of CO2 avoided
- June: Five additional KKR companies join the Green Portfolio Program including Accellent, Biomet, Dollar General, HCA and SunGard.
- March: EDF and The Carlyle Group announce the launch of the EcoValuScreen, an innovative tool for building the Green Returns approach into private equity’s due diligence cycle.
- June: KKR & EDF announce Green Portfolio results for 8 companies, including $160M in savings and 345k metric tons of CO2 avoided.
- October: KKR announces enrollment of five additional companies in Europe and Australia bringing total participation to 17 companies or 30% of KKR’s global portfolio.