Degrees Episode 06: Bill Weihl
Why employees are key for a hopeful future
Leading the sustainability efforts at Google and Facebook might seem like dream jobs, but for Bill Weihl there were still nights when he couldn’t sleep. Acutely aware of the narrowing window to avoid the worst effects of climate change, Bill was haunted by a burning question: how could he create more change, faster? Thus was born “Climate Voice”, his new initiative designed to empower employees of any company to be agents of change… particularly around influencing public policy.
- 1:32 – Why Bill felt the need to leave the tech giants: public policy wasn’t a priority
- 2:46 – The need for outside pressure to push for policy
- 3:23 – Most companies aren’t making climate a top priority for their lobbying.
- 4:10 – On how “silence” isn’t neutrality—it’s complicity
- 4:43 – How one person—with any job title—can make a difference
- 6:13 – Climate Voice gives people the opportunity to not have to go it alone
- 6:47 – How the LGTBQ movement was the inspiration for Climate Voice
- 7:57 – How employees drove corporate action on the North Carolina Bathroom Bill (another blueprint for Climate Voice)
- 9:38 – Employees and students have power over corporate action
- 10:26 – We’re spending our “carbon budget” way too fast. Action is needed now!
- 11:33 – Achieving scale is the key to success: even “cheap” climate solutions aren’t being deployed fast enough
- 12:29 – The political balance of power is completely out of whack, prohibiting success at scale
- 13:00 – On the Biden and Harris administration: this coming year is the time for companies to go all in
- 13:45 – Bill’s “personal Board of Directors”
- 14: 55 – Getting guidance on environmental justice
- 15:22 – How to keep pushing on in the face of adversity: we can create a “wonderful future”, but only if we keep innovating, investing, and the key accelerant: public policy
Want to learn more about Climate Voice and what you can do at your company? Check out these links:
- Visit Climatevoice.org
- Explore the Climate Voice resources for employees and students
- Download the Climate Voice Policy Guide for businesses
- Listen to Bill’s interview on My Climate Journey
- Read How companies led the way on clean energy in Virginia
- Watch Bill at the World Climate Summit
- Explore The Sunrise Movement
Jason Swann’s life turned upside down. Now, he’s saving wild places
Jason Swann’s life turned upside down. Now, he’s saving wild places. When ...
Sustainable investment leader Taeun Kwon on women, money and saving the planet
If we are to truly combat climate change, there must be more women leaders in ...
How an energy entrepreneur is helping to light up the world
How an energy entrepreneur is helping to light up the world Dan Schnitzer has ...
We want to hear from you
Have a comment? A (constructive) gripe? A great idea for a guest? Want to shower us with praise? Use the form below.