Learn how Ocean Spray cut costs and emissions by making simple and inexpensive changes to its logistics practices.
Why we work on Green Freight
Every company, regardless of size or industry, depends on the movement of freight. To meet supply and demand, companies rely on the on-time delivery of parts, merchandise, and equipment. Freight is as essential to doing business as electricity — and like electricity, it leaves a significant environmental footprint.
Freight movement accounts for 15% of all corporate greenhouse gas emissions. The emissions come directly from trucks, trains, ships and planes that carry goods.
Companies have the power and financial incentive to reduce their environmental impact from freight. By employing smarter logistics strategies, they can operate more efficiently and affordably.
EDF works with some of the largest users of the freight system. We work with these shippers to develop a business case for sustainability. Together, we have identified opportunities for companies to cut transportation cost and emissions. We have distilled our learnings into the Five Principles for Greener Freight:
- Support "Hot Spot" Clean Up. Demand your service providers use upgraded, cleaner trucks and cargo handling equipment, and other emissions-reducing practices at transport hubs, such as idling restrictions and automated gates.
- Choose the most carbon-efficient transport mode possible. Favor ocean over air, rail over truck; consider intermodal moves.
- Collaborate! Internally and externally. Root out opportunities for savings through discussions with internal departments and with suppliers, customers, vendors and even competitors.
- Redesign your logistics network. Optimize your network to maximize cost savings and minimize carbon emissions by frequently running what-if scenarios for warehouse locations, shipping routes, and transport mode choices.
- Get the most out of every move, every day. Combine heavy loads with lighter ones to maximize cube utilization. Consolidate shipments. Consider packaging improvements. A fuller move is a greener move.
From our blog
Except where noted, text is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. All rights reserved for photographs.
Copyright © 2010 Environmental Defense Fund.
257 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10010
General Information: Call (800) 684-3322